Monday, August 19, 2024

Getting to Denman Island

It was a day long adventure to get to Denman Island from Toronto. First, the 5 hour flight from Toronto to Vancouver, which left late of course, because Air Canada. I had a very good seat with no one in front of me on an emergency exit row. By the time I got off the plane, there was 10 minutes to run through Terminal C to get to the Nanaimo flight before they locked the doors. I was the last person through the gate and on the plane. Upon arriving in Nanaimo, discovered that the bus to the airport doesn't run on Sundays. An employee of the airport recommended that I call the Airporter Shuttle, which only had openings because a WestJet flight from Calgary had been canceled. (They've already emailed me back that they are completely booked next Sunday for my return.)

The airport shuttle dropped me at Departure Bay ferry. I was hours early for the Island Link Bus. The bus representative stored my luggage in her office and recommended a fish and chips place for lunch. Unfortunately, the Seadrift's kitchen wasn't open. However, they had a great variety of different seafood, including lutefisk! Walked a little bit further to a delicious suchi place, where I ordered way too much food. A Bento box would have been enough without adding kaarage chicken. 

On walk back to the Departure Bay bus stop, walked along the harbor, which was full of boats and boat sheds. Even saw a float plane take off!


Island Link Bus dropped me at Buckley Bay to catch the ferry across to Denman Island. It was simple to walk on past all the cars waiting. A short ride later, walked off onto the islands and started the trek uphill, passing all the cars waiting to get on the ferry. It was a very long line! About half a mile (750 m). Eventually, a kind family picked me up in their camper van and gave me a ride the rest of the way to the Mud Girls camping site. It is a very mossy, beautiful forest. Was able to get the tent set up without any rain, even though it thundered ominously overhead.


Met several people at dinner; and, then, we went hiking to the views recommended by our host. Beautiful views looking west toward Vancouver Island! We can hear the ravens croaking out here. Merlin app says we've also heard a Cedar waxwing. Three of the other hikers were also foragers, so, they were able to point out different plants. One even found a turkey tail mushroom. We all tasted some salal berries, which look a bit like blueberries. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment