Monday, November 5, 2012

Japan Day 3 - Tokyo!

My first day on my own taking the array of trains and subways around Tokyo. Two different companies run the subways; and, there is also a train line. Per the hostel, it's not worth it to buy day passes, as each day pass is only for one company. I tracked my rides today; and, I rode both subways and the train.
jr line 130
toei metro 170
toei metro 170
tokyo metro 160
jr line 130
On my very first ride, the train pulled into the first station and stopped. However, the doors didn't open. There was a long announcement over the PA, none of which I understood. Thankfully, the doors did finally open and we kept moving.

Since it was so clear out that we could see Mount Fuji from the hostel, I decided to visit the tallest structure in the world, Tokyo's Skytree. It stands 634 meters high, with observation decks at 350m and 450m. Be ready to spend hours waiting in lines, first a line to get a time to buy a ticket. When you return at your time, you'll stand in line to buy the ticket. Then, there's another line to get on the 40 person elevator to the first observation deck. The elevator speeds upward at 600m/minute (my ears popped on the way down). After all that waiting, the view at 350m was worth it! A 360 degree, birds eye view of Tokyo spread out below us. However, be aware that there is an additional 1000 yen charge to go to the next observation deck at 450m.

There is plenty to do at Solamanche between waiting in line to get a ticket time and waiting in line to purchase a ticket. During that time, I walked to Sumida Park, visited my first Shinto Temple, drank a white grape and aloe juice and even test drove a rescue robot used at the Fukushima nuclear plant!

For lunch, I wondered across the canal from Skytree and stumbled upon Kailash Indian Restaurant. Welcomed by a 'Namaste', I was instantly curious where the owners were from. Both the owner and server are from Nepal. They served up delicious naan, curry and lassi; and, lunch was reasonably priced at under 1000 yen. What a delicious surprise!

After all that time spent waiting, I hurried down from Skytree to get to Tokyo National Museum in Ueno. There were so many interesting exhibits, from ukiyo-e prints to terracotta figures to sumarai suits of armor to beautiful porcelains to painted screens. After the museum closed, I walked thru Ueno Park and saw a group yo-yo-ing, another juggling, and, a third dressed out of Grease and dancing to '50s music.

On my walk back along the railway, I passed by a craft fare with artists displaying jewelry, shoes, and purses. In contrast to this craftmanship, I continued back thru the shopping area of yesterday, even busier and louder with vendors shouting at passing customers. For supper, I ate from the bustling kebab shop. Then, i made my way back to Akibara to check out the Tokyo Anime Center. It was disappointingly more giftshop than museum.



No comments:

Post a Comment