Thursday, April 10, 2014

Parks and food

Jamon serrano and a cappuccino at illy cafe

The past two days, I've walked miles. It's so great to have the time to explore! A couple years ago, when I first came to Guadalajara on a work trip, we spent the first evening along Avenida Providencia. It was there that my manager introduced me to a good cappuccino at illy cafe. I had to go back for another cup. While there, I also enjoyed some sliced ham (jamon serrano) and bread. At the table over, there were a group of students discussing medical terminology in Spanglish. Several of them had American accents. My medical student roommate told me tonight that there are lots of foreigners studying medicine in her class. Not only is it cheaper, it's also far fewer years of study. However, the students still have to pass the licensing exam in the country where they'd like to practice.

 Map of Bosque Colomos park

Next, I set off to find the park Bosque (Forest) Colomos. It is huge! At 92 hectares (roughly 227 acres), it boasts a variety of attractions as well as 2 kilometer (1 mile) and 5 kilometer (3 mile) paved trails. There are so many things to see there. Below are photos of just a few of the attractions. Entrance is only 6 pesos ($0.50).

Statue of songwriter Pepe Guizar. The words carved in stone are from the his song "Guadalajara":
"Guadalajara Guadalajara
Tienes el alma mas Mexicana"
(you have the most Mexican soul)
Japanese Garden donated by the city of Kyoto, Japan

"Todo es Posible con Decision" (Everything is Possible with Decision) by Edgar Zuniga

Adult sized monkey bars along the trail. 

Lago de Aves (Bird Lake)

After several hours enjoying Bosque Colomos, it was time for some refreshment. Along Avenida Providencia there is an ice cream shop that I remembered from my first visit. A small Oreo ice cream (only 18 pesos, ~$1.50) was the perfect way to cool off after hours in the sun.

Another food that I tried today was tacos de canasta (basket tacos). These tacos are steamed. The street vendor said that the tacos are usually eaten in the morning for breakfast. The toppings were cabbage, carrots and salsa.
Tacos de canasta
One of the girls at the ice cream shop had a fruit cup. She pointed me in the direction of that stand. Tomorrow, I'll stop for one of those!

Fruit readied for fruit cups


No comments:

Post a Comment