Wednesday, April 9, 2014

From door to patio

Hasta la vista, little condo!

Yesterday, I closed the bright yellow door of my condo. With suitcase so heavy that I could barely roll it and backpack and purse strung over my shoulders, I walked the two blocks to the city bus stop. The city bus dropped me at the megabus stop.  Megabus boasts seats as low as $1 (plus service charge) and free WiFi. The total cost for me to travel from Austin to San Antonio was $4.75. The WiFi, however, was less than satisfactory.
My luggage, propped up by the megabus stop sign.

Megabus dropped us in a parking lot downtown. Since Austin had taxis waiting a block away, I hadn't called ahead for a taxi to meet me in San Antonio. A generous public health professor going to the downtown University of Texas San Antonio offered to share his cab with me. Within twenty minutes, I was at the airport. Checking into my flight, I was doing pretty good conversing with the Volaris attendant in Spanish. Then he quickly rattled off a long question; and, I was lost. Thankfully, he spoke English, too. If you're traveling to Mexico, Volaris is a lower priced option that services select US cities.

The customs and immigration process in Guadalajara was quick and painless. Then, I was out the door, looking for a familiar face in the lobby. It was such a welcoming sight to see my coworker Ivan waiting for me. Outside, another coworker, Mario, was waiting with the car. These two navigated their way through rush hour traffic to the house that I would be staying at. Thankfully, my coworker Hector had talked to the owners and visited a couple potential places for me to stay. The place that Hector recommended is perfect! Both Maribel and Rosalva were waiting for me on my arrival. They showed me the large bedroom, shared bathroom, kitchen and living areas. The crowning glory is the back patio. Two other girls share the place with me.

Enjoying the back patio

Then, Ivan, Mario and I were off to Chapultepec to find some supper. Unfortunately, I was too tired and hungry last night to remember to take pictures of all we saw. There's a broad median down the middle Chapultepec. People were walking; skateboarders were showing off; and, there was a saxophonist performing. We turned off on a side street for some street tacos. I ate a lengua (tongue) taco and a vampiro (fried taco shell on bottom). The lengua was a slice of tongue. It was so tender and delicious! We also stopped by El Callejon de los Rumberos to check out the salsa dancing. It was too early in the evening for anyone to be social dancing. However, there was a salsa class going upstairs. Such energy!

On my return to the house, I met one of my roommates. She is studying to become a medical doctor. She's either at school or studying most of the day. It's going to be a nice, quiet living situation. However, I'm not used to living on a through street. It might take me a few days to get used to all the cars going by.

Charles de Gaulle in the Jardin de Francia (French Garden)

The advantage of this neighborhood is that it's within walking distance of a great trail, convenience stores and public transportation. This morning, I wandered through the French Garden, complete with statue of Charles de Gualle. On my saunter, I stopped at a fresh fruit store for some breakfast--a fresh mango and a sugary empenada. The fruit here tastes so much better than anything in the States. It's going to be a good couple of months.


No comments:

Post a Comment